French Onion Soup - "Featuring beer and a touch of whisky"
- 4.5 Cups Beef stock
- 1.5 Cups Beer (ale best but reg works)
- 1 tsp thyme
- 5T. butter
- 3 large white onions
- 3 large yellow onions
- 4 large shallots thinly sliced
- 2-3 T whiskey (optional)
- 2T flour; 1 tsp salt
- Croutons and freshly grated cheese (fontinella or parmesan)
- Heat stock, beer, and thyme until very hot. Then set aside. Melt butter in a LARGE pot. When foam subsides, add onions, shallots, and salt.
- Cook uncovered over med heat 20-30 minutes, stirring frequently. Add whiskey and continue cooking.
- When onions have taken on a rich caramel color sprinkle in flour and continue to cook stirring for 4 minutes.
- Stirring constantly, slowly pour in 2 cups of stock and cook for 3-4 minutes. Stir in remaining stock and simmer partially covered for another 30 minutes.
- Serve in heat proof bowls. Top with croutons and freshly grated cheese (fontinella or parmesan).
- Seems a little pain staking but well worth the time! Serve with a nice full bodied wine of your choice red or white.